Savannah Personal Injury Lawyers Representing Injury Victims and Families
Holding individuals, businesses, and government entities responsible for negligence and disregard for the safety of others
A serious injury can change someone’s life in an instant. Many times, the injury alters a person’s quality of life forever. Most injuries require short- or long-term medical care, which requires a proper understanding of the victim’s medical condition and knowledge of the right treatments to correct or improve those conditions. Patients who need surgery wonder if they will ever heal properly. Clients are constantly concerned about their health until their condition returns to normal or near normal. For most patients, the emotional suffering is just as bad as the physical pain.
The Savannah personal injury lawyers at Harris Lowry Manton LLP have decades of experience fighting for families. We have won the respect of our legal peers and the Savannah community for our dedication to personal injury victims and to justice. We are the only Georgia law firm to obtain #1 verdicts in six different categories – including premises liability and auto defects – for the last 11 years. Some of our most significant verdicts include:
- $47.7 million in a lawsuit against Ford stemming from their defective seats. Our client’s daughter was rendered paralyzed after a crash where the seat collapsed on the daughter.
- $43.5 million for the family of man who died after months of abuse and neglect in his Rome, GA nursing home.
- $40 million for a former police chief who was hit by a driver under the influence of OxyContin and Xanax. The crash left our client permanently disabled.
- $11.5 million for a family whose unborn son sustained permanent brain injuries because of a negligent USPS driver.
Our ability to get results is based on our thorough understanding of the relevant laws, our dedication to getting all the facts and evidence correct, and our working relationship with many professionals, such as engineers, product safety experts, and accountants.
Making a claim for compensation after you have been injured
When you have sustained a serious injury because of the negligence of someone else, you may be able to make a claim for damages – compensation awarded by a court, or negotiated via a settlement offer from the negligent party. There are three categories of compensatory damages:
- Economic. Economic damages cover, in essence, your bills: the cost of your medical care, your lost wages from time away from work, any property damage you sustained, any adaptive technologies you may need (like wheelchair ramps), or the cost of a funeral and burial if your loved one has died.
- Non-economic. Non-economic damages cover your losses that are less tangible, though still just as real. Pain and suffering, loss of consortium or companionship, and emotional distress are all non-economic damages.
- Punitive. Punitive damages are designed to punish the responsible party for its actions, in the hopes that said party will not commit those same acts again. Though punitive damages are not often awarded, HLM has been very successful in obtaining them on behalf of our catastrophically injured clients.
How long do I have to file a claim after I have been hurt?
When you want to file a claim for compensation, you have to file that claim within two years of the date you were injured, or could have reasonably known you were injured. This timeframe is called the statute of limitations. If you do not make your claim within the two years, you may be barred from collecting compensation.
How much is my personal injury lawsuit worth?
There is no model or set amount of money you can obtain when you file an injury lawsuit in Georgia. Every case is different, and so the award amounts will also be different.
How much you can recover may come down to how at-fault a judge or jury determines you to be. That is because of comparative negligence – a rule which allows for the reduction of a claim based on the plaintiff’s percentage of fault. In other words, if you are found partially at-fault for your injury, you might receive less money. This is why we say never admit fault. Our goal is to secure the most compensation possible for our clients. We build your case with that in mind.
Choosing the best Savannah injury attorney for your case
Our Savannah personal injury attorneys handle the full range of personal injury cases. If someone or a business was careless, negligent, or reckless, HLM is ready to hold them responsible for the physical and emotional harm they cause. Among the cases we handle the most often are:
- Vehicle collisions. Car accidents, motorcycle wrecks, truck accidents – we handle them all. If you were hit by a distracted driver, or a driver under the influence of alcohol or drugs, we will represent your best interests. We also handle cases involving autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles, common carriers such as planes, trains, taxis, and buses, and claims involving Uber or Lyft.
- Medical malpractice. If you were injured by a negligent surgeon, doctor, specialist, nurse, or medical facility staff member, we can help. We have secured millions of dollars on behalf of our clients.
- Product liability. HLM has secured 8-figure verdicts for the victims of defective auto parts, and has the resources to handle mass tort claims, like those arising from talc products. If a defective product caused your injury, we know what to do.
- Nursing home neglect. Few acts are more despicable in our eyes than the neglect or abuse of an elderly person. They are among our most vulnerable, and we take our job as their advocates, and yours, seriously.
- Premises liability. When you sustain an injury on someone else’s property, you may be able to make a claim for damages. Whether you are hurt in a grocery store, on a construction site, in a public park or a private venue, we want to help.
Our attorneys work with clients who have suffered a catastrophic injury, like a traumatic brain injury, spinal cord damage, or the loss of limb. We also handle burn injury cases and medical malpractice cases, including birth injuries. When the worst comes to pass, we offer compassionate, guided counsel for families who wish to file survival actions or wrongful death claims.
If insurance companies fail to negotiate in good faith, we bring bad faith actions demanding they pay the full value of the claim and legal fees. When wrongdoers just did not care about your safety, our Savannah personal injury attorneys focus on the fight, so you can focus on healing.
Make an appointment with our skilled Savannah personal injury lawyers
If you’ve been hurt or a loved one has been injured, it’s best to call an experienced Savannah personal injury attorney as soon as possible. There are time limits for filing claims. The faster you speak with an HLM lawyer, the quicker we can investigate your claim and review your medical problems so that you’re seeing the right doctors. Our personal injury lawyers have the experience, resources, and skills to get justice. For answers to your questions from aggressive advocates, please call us at 912.417.3774 or complete our contact form to schedule a free consultation.
Types of Cases We Handle
Our Savannah attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:
|Auto Defects||Birth Injuries||Burn Injury||Distracted Driving|
|Motorcycle Accidents||Nursing Home Neglect||Personal Injury||Plane Crashes|
|Premises Liability||Product Liability||Talcum Powder Product Liability||Truck Accidents|
- How Do Personal Injury Cases Work?
- What Do Personal Injury Lawyers Do?
- When Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- How Do I Choose a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- What Should I Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer?
410 E. Broughton Street
Savannah, GA 31401