Stephen G. Lowry
Phone: (912) 651-9967
Email: Email Steve
Steve Lowry is an award-winning litigator who has secured record-setting jury verdicts on behalf of his clients. A passionate advocate for individuals who have been harmed by the actions of others, Steve has won numerous top 10 verdicts in Georgia, including a $43.5 million jury verdict for Terhune v. Forum Group Corp et al., the state’s largest judgment on record against a nursing home facility; a $40 million jury verdict for Jenkins v. Lambert, the #1 largest jury verdict in Georgia for 2016; and a $11.5 million verdict for Bilbrey v. United States of America, one of the largest verdicts ever secured against the United States government.
A law review editor and cum laude graduate of Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College and a magna cum laude graduate of University of Maryland Baltimore County, Steve began his career working alongside Joe C. Freeman Jr., a legendary Atlanta trial lawyer known for defending the Eli Lilly pharmaceutical company in suicide cases, representing JCPenney in flammable pajama cases and serving as national counsel for Chrysler.
Early in his career, Steve handled both plaintiff and defense cases, but after he represented the family of a six-year-old girl who suffered severe burns on 80% of her body due to a polyurethane foam mattress, he knew he wanted to dedicate his career to righting the wrongs caused by big corporations and defective products. He is a passionate advocate for clients and has a strong track record of winning cases against major corporations.
Steve excels at product liability cases and tried Zakrocki v. Ford Motor Company case, securing a $10.6 million verdict in New Jersey after demonstrating that his client’s Ford Explorer suffered from a defect that the auto manufacturer knew about and attempted to conceal. He also demonstrated Ford’s negligence in Mundy v. Ford Motor Company, which resulted in a federal investigation of the company and an impressive $40 million jury verdict.
Also focusing on catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases, Steve puts his heart and soul into getting the best results for clients, often securing justice in tragic circumstances. In Allen v. Consolidated OB-GYN, Steve successfully advocated for a woman whose death was the direct result of post-birth complications and lengthy treatment delays, securing a $4.3 million jury verdict.
Steve’s highly competitive nature and his unique ability to persuade jurors and to connect with clients has led to many victories in the courtroom and beyond. He has also earned respect from his peers for his exceptional trial work, including being named to Super Lawyer’s annual list of the top Georgia lawyers since 2007. In fact, Steve has been named to the Georgia Super Lawyers’ prestigious Top 100 list for the last two years.
Steve’s impressive record as a plaintiff’s trial lawyer and as a tireless advocate for clients earned him the American Association for Justice’s illustrious F. Scott Baldwin Most Outstanding Trial Lawyer Award in 2009. In 2011, he was chosen as one of 14 lawyers for the Fulton County Daily Report’s On the Rise. In 2014, he was honored as the only lawyer to be inducted twice into VerdictSearch’s Georgia Verdicts Hall of Fame in the categories of product liability and medical malpractice.
A sought-after speaker, Steve has lectured extensively on all areas of trial work, including trial tactics, wrongful death, product liability, trucking, cross-examination, business trials and intellectual property disputes. He has published numerous articles in the Savannah Morning News, Business in Savannah and various legal publications.
Steve currently serves in leadership positions in numerous organizations, including the Board of Governors of American Association of Justice, Executive Committee of Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Green Law Board of Directors and Board of Directors of the Southern Trial Lawyers Association. He is also a Past President of the Savannah Trial Lawyers Association.
Steve lives in Savannah with his wife, Leilani, and their two daughters.
Honors and Awards:
- Georgia Verdicts Hall of Fame – Inducted twice in Medical Malpractice and Product Liability, 2014
- 2009 F. Scott Baldwin Award – Most Outstanding Trial Lawyer of the Year by the American Association of Justice, Young and New Lawyers Division
- Georgia Super Lawyer (awarded each year 2007 – present)
- Fulton County Daily Report “On the Rise” 2011
- Elected to American Board of Trial Advocates
- Fellow in the American Bar Foundation
- Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Top 100 Lawyers in Georgia by the National Association of Trial Lawyers
- Georgia Super Lawyers Top 100
Areas of Practice:
- Defective Products
- Aviation Accidents
- Motor Vehicles Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Automotive Defects
- Medical Malpractice
- Business Litigation
- Bad Faith
- Georgia, 1998
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia, 2000
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1999
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1999
- Supreme Court of Georgia, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Lewis and Clark College Northwestern School of Law, Portland, Oregon, 1998, J.D.
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Law Review: Lewis and Clark College Northwestern School of Law Review, Associate Editor, 1996 – 1998
- University of Maryland Baltimore County, Catonsville, Maryland, 1995, B.A.
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude with dual degrees
- Major: History
- Major: Economics
Written Contributions and Speaking Engagements
- Regular contributor to BusinessinSavannah.com