Atlanta Personal Injury Attorneys, DeKalb County
Advocating for personal injury victims in Atlanta and across Georgia
If you are injured by the actions of an individual or organization, you may be entitled to compensation under the law. However, bringing a personal injury claim can quickly become complicated and overwhelming without assistance from an experienced personal injury attorney. The process and requirements can vary significantly, depending on the party at fault and the type of injury sustained.
The lawyers of Harris Lowry Manton LLP focus on large-scale litigation for personal injury cases. We have secured millions of dollars in compensation for clients, including
- $43.5 million for the family of a man who died because of nursing home abuse and negligence.
- $40 million for a former Police Chief and his wife after our client was hit by a driver under the influence of drugs and rendered permanently disabled.
- $40 million for our client who was paralyzed after her Ford Explorer shifted into reverse from the “park” position, and rolled over her.
- $11.2 million verdict for the parents of Sara Elizabeth Jones, who was killed after being hit by a train.
If the actions of another injured you or a family member, our Atlanta personal injury attorneys could help you get the compensation you need.
- When do you need a personal injury lawyer?
- What kinds of personal injury cases do you handle?
- How to hire the best personal injury lawyers in Atlanta
- What are Georgia’s statute of limitations for injury claims?
- What kinds of damages can I receive from an injury lawsuit in Atlanta?
- How does a personal injury claim work?
- Do I need a personal injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA?
- Can I afford an Atlanta, GA personal injury attorney?
- Do you have a personal injury lawyer near me?
The attorneys at Harris Lowry Manton are highly professional and extremely compassionate. They truly care about seeking justice for their clients.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ [Google Review]
When do you need a personal injury lawyer?
What kinds of personal injury cases do you handle?
Many events and circumstances can lead to personal injury claims. You want a lawyer who focuses on injury and tort law and who prepares every case for trial, like ours do. At HLM, our DeKalb County personal injury attorneys provide effective representation in some of the most complex personal injury cases, including:
- Defective products. We handle cases involving auto defects, dangerous medical products, defective machinery, and more.
- Aviation incidents. HLM stands out as one of only a few law firms capable of handling aviation accident cases involving pilot error or defective engines.
- Child injury. We are passionate about getting justice for children who have been injured by a negligent party, including car accidents, defective products, or daycare workers.
- Truck accidents. We understand the special regulations and circumstances that are important to achieving a successful outcome in your case.
- Car accidents. We handle all manner of claims involving roadway defects, car crashes, motorcycle wrecks, boat accidents, taxi or bus collisions, and more. Our firm also advocates for victims injured by drunk driving and distracted driving accidents, as well as those involving Uber and Lyft vehicles.
- Industrial site and construction injuries. We routinely represent the families of individuals injured or killed because of the negligence of the company owner or the manufacturer of a defective tool.
- Catastrophic injury. We represent clients who have sustained catastrophic injuries, or any injury that permanently prevents an individual from performing gainful work because of the negligent or intentional acts of others. Our lawyers have successfully handled cases involving dangerous or defective products, as well as catastrophic injuries (such as brain and spinal cord injuries, amputations, burn injuries, and more) caused by medical professionals.
- Wrongful death. Losing a loved one due to the negligence of another person or organization should never happen, and we diligently work to ensure that those at fault are held responsible.
- Injuries caused by property owners. Our premises liability practice often represents clients who are injured due to roadway defects, buildings with inadequate security, or dangerous conditions on a property, such as slippery floors, vicious animals, violent customers or guests, broken elevators, and more.
How to hire the best personal injury lawyers in Atlanta
You must find an Atlanta personal injury attorney that you feel comfortable with and is going to fight for you. You must do your research and schedule an initial consultation. To find the top personal injury attorneys in Atlanta, ask these questions:
- What is the experience of that lawyer in cases like yours?
- Have they actually worked up a case like yours to trial and tried it to verdict with a jury?
- What are they going to do in your case?
- What are the steps going to be?
- How are they going to get your case to trial?
What is important when you're picking a personal injury lawyer is that you find a lawyer that has experience. Not just experience handling personal injury cases, but experience in the courtroom, and who's taking cases to trial. Those lawyers know how to put the case together in order to either try a jury, or to maximize the recovery that they're going to get in any type of a resolution that there might be.
Not only having a lawyer that’s experienced and is taking cases to trial, but also one that you have a good relationship with and is compassionate and understands what you're going through. It isn't just looking at you as another number, as another case, but it is getting to know you, your family, and spending time with you.
We go and spend time in our client's homes, we spend it with their families, we spend it with their loved ones, and we really try to get to know the person, so that when we're presenting that case to a jury, we're presenting a complete picture of what has happened to this person, or what they were like if they passed away.
We have successfully handled numerous personal injury cases. Our reputation for success with high-value cases routinely results in referrals from other legal professionals. We appreciate these opportunities and tirelessly work to pursue each client’s best interest.
What are Georgia’s statute of limitations for injury claims?
Generally speaking, you only have two years from the day you were injured, or the day you could have reasonably known you were injured, to file your claim. There are some exceptions to this time limit:
- Loss of reputation must be filed within one year
- Loss of consortium must be filed within four years
The time to hire an Atlanta personal injury lawyer is as soon as you realize you’re injured, so you are not time barred from making your claim or filing a lawsuit.
What kinds of damages can I receive from an injury lawsuit in Atlanta?
There are three categories of damages:
- Economic damages include your lost wages, medical bills, loss of future earning capacity, property damage, and funeral and/or burial expenses. They are losses that can be calculated.
- Non-economic damages are for your pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of companionship. There is no concrete monetary value for these losses; they are subjective.
- Punitive damages are designed to punish the wrongdoer, in the hopes that this person and/or entity will not engage in the behavior again. Punitive damages are rare, though our firm has successfully obtained punitive damages for many clients over the years.
Georgia is a comparative negligence state. This means that the amount you can collect in damages may be affected by your role, if any, in the event which caused you harm. For this reason, it is crucial that you never admit to fault: not at the scene of your car crash, not when you were using the defective product, not if you were hurt while doing your job – NEVER. Tell our Atlanta personal injury lawyers what happened to you and how, and we will advise you about your next steps, and which options are available to you.
How does a personal injury claim in Georgia work?
When you sustain an injury, you may be entitled to compensation for that injury. One of the best ways to ensure that your claim is handled correctly from the start is to hire a personal injury lawyer. Once you have hired your Atlanta personal injury attorney, he or she will review your medical records, the police record (if there is one), and any other documentation regarding your claim.
From there, your lawyer will send a demand letter for compensation to the party responsible for your injuries. If the responsible party will not pay, then your lawyer will file a lawsuit. This can lead to settlement negotiations, or it can lead to litigation. Our legal team is dedicated to doing what is in the best interest of our clients, so every case is prepared for trial. This often leads to a better opening offer during settlement negotiations too.
How are Personal Injury Cases Different from Other Legal Cases?
Do I need a personal injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA?
Since you have insurance, you might assume that they will handle everything and you will receive compensation for your losses quickly and without much fuss, but that is rarely the case. The insurance company do not want to pay you what your case is worth.
One of the major things we do is investigate. We get to the bottom of what happened. We find out the facts. Then we look at those facts, and we determine whether or not there’s a legal claim. Once we gather the facts and you look at the law, then we can sit down with the client and determine how to proceed and get you the money you deserve for your losses after the blatant action by the negligent party.
Can I afford an Atlanta, GA personal injury attorney?
Yes, you can afford a personal injury lawyer in Atlanta. For personal injury cases, we work on a contingency fee basis so we do not get any payment upfront. We only get paid if we win your case. Percentages vary depending on the case and the compensation award but we will discuss your options throughout the claim process. While trial is not the preferred option, it is a possibility.
Do you have a personal injury lawyer near me?
Harris Lowry Manton LLP’s Atlanta office is located at 1418 Dresden Drive, in Brookhaven, Georgia, with plenty of local parking just a short walk away.
Schedule a free consultation with an Atlanta personal injury lawyer today
If you or a loved one has suffered a personal injury in DeKalb County, do not hesitate to speak to an experienced Atlanta personal injury attorney. You have the right to pursue compensation for your injuries, and the professional personal injury attorneys at HLM have the skills and resources to help you. Call us in Atlanta or Savannah to schedule a free consultation. You can also complete our contact form.
Brookhaven, Dekalb County Office
1418 Dresden Dr NE
Brookhaven, Georgia 30319