Atlanta Personal Injury Attorneys, DeKalb County
Advocating for personal injury victims in Atlanta and across Georgia
If you are injured by the actions of an individual or organization, you may be entitled to compensation under the law. However, bringing a personal injury claim can quickly become complicated and overwhelming without assistance from an experienced personal injury attorney. The process and requirements can vary significantly, depending on the party at fault and the type of injury sustained.
The lawyers of Harris Lowry Manton LLP focus on large-scale litigation for personal injury cases and have secured millions of dollars in compensation for clients, including:
- $43.5 million for the family of a man who died because of nursing home abuse and negligence.
- $40 million for a former Police Chief and his wife, after our client was hit by a driver under the influence of drugs and rendered permanently disabled.
- $40 million for our client who was paralyzed after her Ford Explorer shifted into reverse from the “park” position, and rolled over her.
- $11.2 million verdict for the parents of Sara Elizabeth Jones, who was killed after being hit by a train.
If you or a family member was injured by the actions of another, our Atlanta personal injury attorneys can help you get the compensation you need.
When do you need a personal injury lawyer?
How do you choose the best personal injury lawyer for your needs?
Many events and circumstances can lead to personal injury claims. You want a lawyer who focuses on injury and tort law, and who prepares every case for trial, like ours do. At HLM, our DeKalb County personal injury attorneys provide effective representation in some of the most complex personal injury cases, including:
- Defective products. We handle cases involving auto defects, dangerous medical products, defective machinery, and more.
- Aviation incidents. HLM stands out as one of only a few law firms capable of handling aviation accident cases involving pilot error or defective engines.
- Child injury. We are passionate about getting justice for children who have been injured by a negligent party, including car accidents, defective products, or daycare workers.
- Truck accidents. We understand the special regulations and circumstances that are important to achieving a successful outcome in your case.
- Car accidents. We handle all manner of claims involving roadway defects, car crashes, motorcycle wrecks, boat accidents, taxi or bus collisions, and more. Our firm also advocates for victims injured by drunk driving and distracted driving accidents, as well as those involving Uber and Lyft vehicles.
- Industrial site and construction injuries. We routinely represent the families of individuals injured or killed because of the negligence of the company owner or the manufacturer of a defective tool.
- Catastrophic injury. We represent clients who have sustained catastrophic injuries, or any injury that permanently prevents an individual from performing gainful work because of the negligent or intentional acts of others. Our lawyers have successfully handled cases involving dangerous or defective products, as well as catastrophic injuries (such as brain and spinal cord injuries, amputations, burn injuries, and more) by medical professionals.
- Wrongful death. Losing a loved one due to the negligence of another person or organization should never happen, and we diligently work to ensure that those at fault are held responsible.
- Injuries caused by property owners. Our premises liability practice often represents clients who are injured due to roadway defects, buildings with inadequate security, or dangerous conditions on a property, such as slippery floors, vicious animals, violent customers or guests, broken elevators, and more.
What is important when you're picking a personal injury lawyer is that you find a lawyer that has experience. Not just experience handling personal injury cases per se, but experience in the courtroom, and who's actually taking cases to trial, has put a case similar to the one that you or your loved one has, and has actually tried that to the verdict. Those lawyers know how to put the case together in order to either try to a jury, or to maximize the recovery that they're going to get in any type of a resolution that there might be.
Not only having a lawyer that’s experienced and is taking cases to trial, but also one that you have a good relationship with and is compassionate, understands what you're going through, or at least tries to understand the type of situation you're in. Isn't just looking at you as another number, as another case, that has actually getting to know you, getting to know your family, spending time with you.
We go and spend time in our clients’ homes, we spend it with their family, we spend it with their loved ones and we really try to get to know the person, so that when we're presenting that case to a jury, we're presenting the most complete picture that we can of what has happened to this person, or what they were like if they passed away.
We have successfully handled numerous personal injury cases. Our reputation for success with high-value cases routinely results in referrals from other legal professionals. We appreciate these opportunities and tirelessly work to pursue each client’s best interest.
What are Georgia’s statute of limitations for injury claims?
Generally speaking, you only have two years from the day you were injured, or the day you could have reasonably known you were injured, to file your claim. There are some exceptions to this time limit:
- Loss of reputation must be filed within one year
- Loss of consortium must be filed within four years
Damages in personal injury claims in Atlanta, DeKalb County
There are three categories of damages:
- Economic damages include your lost wages, medical bills, loss of future earning capacity, property damage, and funeral and/or burial expenses. They are losses that can be calculated.
- Non-economic damages are for your pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of companionship. There is no concrete monetary value for these losses; they are more subjective.
- Punitive damages are designed to punish the wrongdoer, in the hopes that this person and/or entity will not engage in the behavior again. Punitive damages are rare, though our firm has successfully obtained punitive damages for many clients over the years.
Georgia is a comparative negligence state. This means that the amount you can collect in damages may be affected by your role, if any, in the event which caused you harm. For this reason, it is crucial that you never admit to fault: not at the scene of your car crash, not when you were using the defective product, not if you were hurt while doing your job – never. Tell us what happened to you and how, and we will advise you about your next steps, and which options are available to you.
How does a personal injury claim work?
When you sustain an injury, you may be entitled to compensation for that injury. One of the best ways to ensure that your claim is handled correctly from the start is to hire a personal injury lawyer. Once you have hired your attorney, he or she will review your medical records, the police record (if there is one), and any other documentation regarding your claim.
From there, your lawyer will send a demand letter for compensation to the party responsible for your injuries. If the accountable party will not pay, then your lawyer will file the lawsuit. This can lead to settlement negotiations, or it can lead to litigation. Our legal team is dedicated to doing what is in the best interests of our clients, so every case is prepared for trial. This often leads to a better opening offer during settlement negotiations, too.
How are Personal Injury Cases Different from Other Legal Cases?
Schedule a free consultation with an Atlanta personal injury lawyer today
If you or a loved one has suffered a personal injury in DeKalb County, do not hesitate to speak to an experienced attorney. You have the right to pursue compensation for your injuries, and the professional personal injury attorneys at HLM have the skills and resources to help you. Call our Atlanta office at 404-961-7650 or our Savannah office at 912-651-9967 to schedule a free consultation. You can also complete our contact form.
- Tracking Your Medical Device in Case of a Recall
- Pedestrian Accidents Cause Long Term Physical and Emotional Challenges
- Cosmetic Laser Procedures Can Lead to Permanent Disfigurement
- The Lasting Damage of a Severe Burn Injury
- How Do Personal Injury Cases Work?
- What Do Personal Injury Lawyers Do?
- When Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- What Should I Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer?