You never really think about it until it happens to you. You’re sitting there enjoying a quiet evening at home and then, out of nowhere, chaos strikes. There’s a loud crash and suddenly part of your home appears to have become part of a movie stunt, only the car crashing through your wall wasn’t part of a planned scene.
Car incursions happen more often than you may think. Over the past year, there have been numerous vehicle crashes into homes around the country. Some caused personal injuries to drivers as well as home occupants, and easily had the potential for deadly consequences.
- In February 2021, occupants of a car fled after smashing into a home, causing a gas leak.
- In January 2021, a vehicle barreled into a living room, pinning a 10-year-old girl and just barely missing her younger siblings.
- Also in January 2021, someone drove a Cadillac through a basement wall inches from a child’s bedroom and the home’s gas meter.
- In late December 2020, a speeding driver lost control and careened into a Savannah home causing property damage.
- In May 2020, a vehicle crashed into a northwest Atlanta townhome, injuring a mother of two small children.
- Also in May 2020, a driver experiencing a medical emergency lost control of a vehicle and crashed through the wall of a home.
Who may share liability for causing property damage and injuries?
- Law enforcement. In Atlanta, there is a zero-tolerance policy for police chases, however if damage is caused, the city or department may be found to bear some of the responsibility, if the risk of the chase didn’t outweigh public safety.
- Bars and restaurants. If a bar or restaurant continued serving an obviously intoxicated guest who then gets behind the wheel of a car, that establishment may find itself being added as a defendant in a personal injury and property damage claim when that individual drives through someone’s home.
- Vehicle manufacturers. Vehicle manufacturers or mechanics who put an automobile on the road that wasn’t produced or repaired properly are subject to being sued for product liability if that vehicle loses control and crashes.
What kinds of damages can you claim for a car incursion?
Anytime a major collision occurs, you can become the victim of a catastrophic injury, which can lead to a lengthy hospital stay, followed by months of physical therapy, expensive prosthetics and more. If a car crashes into your home or business and you suffer injuries as a result, you could claim damages for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Reckless driving that can completely alter the course of your life doesn’t always happen when you’re in a car. If you or a loved one has experienced a vehicle accident that damaged your home or office and caused you to become injured, Harris Lowry Manton LLP can help. To schedule your free case evaluation today with one of our experienced car accident attorneys, call our Atlanta office at 404-998-8847, our Savannah office at 912-417-3774, or we invite you to reach out to us through our contact page to tell us your story.
Jed Manton is committed to representing individuals and business that have been harmed by the actions of others. With a solid track record, Jed has helped numerous clients who have been seriously injured or who have lost a loved one obtain justice, while holding the wrongdoer accountable.
Read more about Jed D. Manton here.